Monday, August 3, 2009

Human Machine

I've recently been separated from an important machine, one that I rely on weekly to do a highly important job...the one that does the laundry for me. The university is closed for the rest of the summer, which means the washing machine is locked away.

Regina Spektor's new album has been on repeat all summer and this song, Machine, is fitting:


So I have been the human washing machine for the past month and will continue to be for the month of August. I learned from a neighbor that the easiest way to do it is by standing in the tub and stomping and swishing the clothes with your feet. So that's been my method. I usually imagine myself as Lucy. She did an episode in Italy and learned how to crush grapes with her feet. It usually makes the experience enjoyable when I imagine myself this way.

5 comments:

  1. Before I even got to the Lucy sentence that's what I thought of. I can't say I envy you in this situation. Hopefully August will go by quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you hang those shirts without them drooping? whenever I hang them upside-down, they droop and make these "birds' beaks" on the bottom at the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike...you just have to hang about an inch of the shirt over the line and then pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and there's no creasing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...not that I can tell, I guess we're not too worried about creases though.

    ReplyDelete