Saturday, August 29, 2009

wedding weekend



By far the best part of the summer was the wedding we went to. We had been to a Moroccan wedding before, but it was completely different this time. Our friends really went out of their way to make us feel like we were an important part of the whole weekend, and I really did feel like I was a part of the family. Nezha, the grooms sister took me dress shopping the week before and helped me pick out a beautiful dress. I wanted to fit in with the rest of the woman so I picked out a Morocco an style kaftan (a lacy robe was included but Nezha said it looked better without it, and I agreed) During the week Matthew helped me pick a pair of shoes out from the souk(they were pointed toes and two inch heels) the were only $2.

The following Sunday there was a henna party. It's similar to a rehearsal dinner the day before the wedding. But the whole extended family (+friends in this case) were there, and it lasted from 3pm-1am. When we arrived Alicia the bride was getting henna designs on her hands and feet. The sisters were dancing and sweating up a storm to some Moroccan music. It was 95 degrees inside and miserably humid. Zetta quickly got stimulation overload and Matthew took her back to the hotel for a quick afternoon nap. Tea and coffee and cookies abounded even though it was way too hot to have anything sweet or hot. We didn't have dinner until midnight, and there was a lack of space so the family invited us downstairs to have our food with them in their living room. We quickly left because it was way past Zetta's bedtime- surprisingly she wasn't exhausted.

Monday morning Zetta and I had breakfast at the hotel while Matthew went on an adventure in the Medina. The waiter and chef had fun playing with Zetta and taking their pictures with her while I ate. After breakfast Zetta and I went over to the El Yacoubi's to see what they were up to. They were all singing in the living room while making orange juice and peach juice for the wedding. We both decided to take a nap when we got back to the hotel. Matthew returned around 2 and we ventured out for lunch. Matthew became Mr. Taxi driver for all the family around 5, so I got dolled up in the hotel while Zetta took another nap. I don't think I've worn that much makeup and used that much hairspray since prom. I knew all the Moroccans would be all plastered up and I didn't want to look like a plain Jane.

We arrived at the reception and the party was already in full swing. I joined in the dancing while Matthew found us seats. The reception was a blast, it was great to see the family having so much fun. We didn't realize that dinner wasn't going to be served, so we ended up just eating cookies and other sweat treats all night. I think we must have gone into a temporary diabetic coma because when we got back around 12:30 our heads hit the pillow right away.


It was nice to spend a couple of days away from Ifrane, it starts to crash in on you living in such a small village. It was good to catch up on time we've missed with them.

1 comment:

  1. I love all the pictures and stories from this wedding! It sounds like an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete