Wednesday, May 27, 2009

As free as a bird

I've been putting this off for far too long, but now I think it's time. For my debut post, I think I'll share with you the painting I finished today and some thoughts about it.


I've been itching to be creative, but I've been stuck in a funk. I'm glad this has passed because I feel so much better after I've created something from within me. I've always had a fascination with birds, so the subject of the painting came naturally. When I was younger I was interested in the things my Dad liked, and he had a pocket sized field guide on the birds of the U.S. that I loved to study. Ever since my obsession with that little book, birds have been magical to me. I think this is just no.1 in a series that I'll be doing. This one is called: Goldfinch

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog world. I look forward to more paintings. Maybe Danny Lambson will put some in his cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing. What a great series you've started! I'm sure your dad is honored.

    I enjoy learning about the next generation through the blogs in ways that we would most likely never converse in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to checking in on you through this blog Katie. Your painting is lovely, good work! -Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing many more of your paintings, Katie! You are so talented! That would be so cool if Danny would put some up in the cafe-- you must take some pics of them if you find them in there some day!:o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The painting is beautiful. I have always been drawn to birds as well. My finch feeder is very busy these days, and lovely to watch outside the office window. Love you and keep on painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally! Remember I asked, "how are YOU doing?"? This will help....
    Love the painting, thanks for putting up with my bro - I'm pretty sure he is full of craziness these days!

    ReplyDelete