Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dinner is served

Zetta is growing bigger by the minute, and this makes her one hungry baby. She is now eating 3 generous meals a day to satisfy her ever growing body. She's been introduced to green beans, peas, pumpkin, zucchini, carrots, apples, bananas, oatmeal, and rice. Frozen veggies and jarred baby food are nowhere to be found in Morocco, so this means her food takes a bit of time to prepare. Produce here does not come pre-washed by any means, it's pulled out of the dirt and put into wooden crates and sold as is. So my first step is to rinse the food, and sometimes take out the little rocks mixed in! Then I peel/shell/chop whatever I'm making.



Then it goes into the pressure cooker for 15 minutes or so until its soft enough to put in the food processor. We usually make 2 or 3 different veggies at the same time and blend them all together.After it's all blended up I pour it into ice cube trays to freeze over night.

After it's frozen I stick them in a handy freezer bag to pull out whenever it's time for Zetta to eat. We have a special mini cooking pot for Zetta's food (its just the right size). We blend together the veggies with a little bit of oatmeal and a little bit of brown rice. Since the baby cereal here is practically pure sugar we make our own out of whole oats and brown rice. Our coffee mill works great to grind them up to a fine powder. The last thing we add before it's ready is a little bit of infants powdered vitamins. I usually repeat this process every 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. It's a lot of work, but its satisfying to know that she's eating well and we're giving her the best food that we can.

3 comments:

  1. Aunt K, Mom, or Sarah, can we get a pic of me as a baby to compare to Zetta. Everyone here says she looks like me. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think she looks like me...:)
    I will begin the hunt for the pics.
    Zetta looks well fed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still say she and Ray resemble each other but I always say Ray looks like a combo of Matthew and Joe. The process of making your own baby food is worth it!

    ReplyDelete